The City of Hartford has had a band ever since 1880 when records indicate that there was a Hook & Ladder Fire Department Band. In 1918 there was the Liberty Band. In 1924, the American Legion Band was established under John Freeman. The band’s name was changed to Hartford City Band, Inc. in 1953. Since that time we have enjoyed several conductors and a multitude of members who come to play their instruments for the joy of music.
- John Freeman (1924-1937)
- Theodore Steinmetz (1937-1942)
- Abraham Feutz (1942-1953)
- Fred Aliota (1953-1978) **
- Ken Johnson (1978-1979)
- Carol Thimm Bressel (1979-1985)
- Jerry Becker (1986)
- Howard Wetzel (1987-2001)
- Howard Wetzel & Dave Vandermeuse (2001-2012)
- Dave Vandermeuse & Bill Berlyn (2012-Present)
Past historical events of interest:
August 6th, 2008: The Hartford City Band honored the memory of an influential member of the both the band and the Hartford community with the premiere of a tribute song, “Wilbert’s Pasture”, written by Glen Tuomaala and composed especially for Wilbert P. Roemer (1923-2007). Wilbert’s legacy lives on in both his farm and in the song. Listen to the Introduction and a Performance by the Hartford City Band.
** The Fred and Joyce Aliota Scholarship is awarded each year to a local student pursuing a career in music. Click here for more information.